2 lbs. Lamb
I medium onion chopped
5 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
½ cup tomato paste
6oz riddles Bacon, chopped
½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
2tsp black pepper
1 tablespoons chopped herbs
Juice and zest 2 lemons
8 slices of rindless smoked bacon rasher
1. Pre heat oven to 200oC
2. Mix all ingredients (except bacon rasher) until well blended
3. Line a 2lb-loaf tin with bacon rasher. Place mixture in the tin and cover with bacon rasher. Cover with tin foil.
4. Place loaf tin in a roasting tin of boiling water and cook for 1 hour. in the oven.
5. Uncover and cook for a further 15 minutes.
To check if the meatloaf is cooked, pierce the centre with a skewer and see if the juices run clear. Serve hot or cold.
Red Pepper and Caper Relish
1 tblesp Olive Oil
2 Fresh red peppers deseeded and cut into strips
1 ½ cups canned tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¾ cup sugar
¼ tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
½ cup capers
1. Place all ingredients (except capers) in a heavy-based saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring regularly until well reduced – this takes about 20-30 minutes.
2. Add capers and simmer for another 5 minutes. Cool.
This relish can be stored in the refrigerator – it cannot be bottled or it will ferment.